BABY FOODS 1. The feeding of an infant on Pesach is a complex matter that needs careful assessment together with your baby's doctor and nutritionist, especially as wheat from which matza is made can easily become an allergen early in life. If necessary seek advice from both your doctor and rabbi. The rabbi will at all times take into account the halachic dictum that the health of the baby is paramount.
2. Parents of babies on special medically supervised diets, which contain chametz, must contact their rabbi for directions. Again the rabbi will at all times take into account the halachic dictum that the health of the baby is paramount. If a child is on a special formula, please also consult your rabbi or The KA for advice.
3. Almost all manufactured baby foods contain chametz in one form or another and should only be used when bearing rabbinic supervision.
4. In general when necessary, the practice not to use rice or leguminous vegetables (kitniyot) is suspended. A rabbi should be consulted. If rice and the other restricted vegetables are used they should be served in separate utensils kept only for the baby. These utensils should be washed in a sink not used for Pesach utensils.
5. Special care should be taken with regards to "corn starch" baby powder as it may be actual "wheat starch" and actual chametz. Only maize corn starch baby powder is acceptable (Kitniyot).
6. Parents of infants should not panic, Jewish families have been successfully keeping Pesach without any ill effects for literally thousands of years.
7. The KA has investigated the following baby formulae and these may be used if required. Utensils should be kept separate from any other Pesach utensils. If anyone needs to use a particular baby formula they should contact Rabbi Gutnick on email@example.com.
|D||Gold + 1|
|D||Gold + 2|
|D||Gold + 3|
|D||Gold + 4|
|D||Profotura + 1|
|D||Profotura + 2|
|D||Profotura + 3|
|D||Profotura + 4|
|D||Nurture 1 Original Infant Formula (from birth)|
|D||Nurture 2 Original Follow-On Formula 2|
|D||Nurture Gold +1|
|D||Nurture Gold Plus Follow-on Formula 2|